According to numbers provided by the World Bank, the United States provides over 19 metric tons of carbon emissions per capita, much of this can be traced to residential buildings or houses. American homes are greatly contributing to the world’s carbon emissions. Reducing your carbon footprint is as simple as reduce, reuse and recycle.
Many of us wonder how to reduce carbon footprints in Phoenix, and the first step is to figure out where your home is wasting energy. We would be happy to give you an assessment of your home’s energy use and waste. Here are several ways to offset your carbon footprint:
Reduce what you can.
Energy efficiency – through reducing the amount of energy wasted in your home through improved efficiency of your major energy using devices (i.e. cooling/heating, pool/spa, lighting, etc.).
Purchase carbon offsets for what you cannot reduce.
Here are 10 easy ways to reduce your carbon footprint provided by CarbonFund:
1. When traveling by air, reduce excess baggage and pack lighter. Planes flying with excess baggage use more fuel.
2. Read the newspaper online to save paper, trees, and carbon.
3. Use cold water to wash and rinse clothes as often as you can.
4. Stop and open the dishwasher before the drying cycle and let the dishes dry naturally.
5. Re-use zip-top bags.
6. Use collected rainwater and “gray” waste water to water your garden.
7. Switch to clean, renewable energy to reduce the overall environmental impact of your home; cooling and heating account for over 70% of energy used in the home.
8. Use hand towels and fabric napkins instead of paper ones.
9. Plant a tree or donate to plant a tree. This is one of the best things you can do for the environment. Trees breathe in CO2 and breathe out oxygen.
10. Use reusable shopping bags.
The Nature Conservancy and CarbonFund are two great resources for calculating your carbon footprint. They are also great organizations committed to helping the environment; visit their sites to place a donation.
Azulenergy can help you reduce your carbon footprint through an energy efficiency audit that will diagnose and give you solutions to reduce your energy consumption. Please call us today.